The story that the wool industry doesn’t want you to see……
PETA has, once again, both lied and stretched the truth in order to gain supporters by making the wool industry seem MUCH worse than what it is. The link will take you to their article and, since they wont allow me to post my reply, my reply is provided below.
It bothers me that PETA does not give the whole truth about the treatment of sheep, whether they do not know the truth or because they’d rather lie to you for your support. I am an Australian who is studying animal science (for animal conservation and rehabilitation) who has some experience on sheep farms.
Here’s some facts about your statements:
1. “Young lambs’ ears are hole-punched, their tails are chopped off, and the males are castrated, all usually without anesthetics or pain relief.”
Their ears are hole punched for identification of their name, age and medical conditions. It is the only way to properly monitor the animals. The removal or their tails never happens in australia. There is no point to it. Also, males are not castrated. There is no point in having them castrated as most are used for mating. If the ram is not used for mating it will be separated from the ewes.
2. “It is considered “normal” in the Australian wool industry for approximately 3 million young lambs to die every spring.”
No, this is not considered normal. Farmers want their stock to last. If their stock declines so does their profitability. If the sheep, of any age, die, especially in large groups, it is investigated by animal pathologists. The reason is usually due to patheogenic or environmental conditions.
3. “Lambs sometimes die because of poor nutrition.”
There are rules here against the maltreatment of animals so none go malnourished and, if they do, the perpetrators get punished.
4. “This wound is the result of a process called “mulesing,” and it’s standard practice in the industry.”
Mulesing is a beneficial process for the sheep. If it is not done, the sheep are susceptible to fly strike which can then lead to their painful death due to severe infection. Mulesing is quick and painless. Healing does take a couple of months but it is effective and successful.
5. “In the rush to produce more wool, many sheep die from exposure after premature shearing.”
Sheering sheep is the same as getting your hair cut. It doesn’t make them die from exposure because their skin is still intact, leaving no room for invading pathogens to enter their system. Also, sheep are shorn once a year.
6. “An unnatural overload of wool also causes animals to die of heat exhaustion during hot months.”
This statement is stupid in itself. Mammals have the ability of thermoregulation, where they can maintain a set body temperature. How can there ever be an overload of wool? What do you think happened when sheep weren’t getting sheared back in the day, that they also died? If that’s the case we wouldn’t have any sheep left. Please use logic!
7. “During shearing, sheep can sustain anything from nicks to complete amputations of their udders, ears, penises, and other body parts.”
Actually this doesn’t happen in the modern day wool industry. Acknowledging that this has happened in that past causes shearers to avoid areas surrounding reproductive organs. Also, no sheep has lost an ear. Have you lost an ear getting your head shaved?
8. “Eyewitness: “I have seen shearers punch sheep with their shears or their fists until the sheep’s nose bled. I have seen sheep with half their faces shorn off.”“
Who is your source. Farmers do not allow this treatment. Cases like this lead to jail time. Your inability to provide a source for the validity and reliability of this statement makes it appear fake.
9. “During auction, the pens are crowded and sheep may die because of injuries or stress.”
False. FARMERS DO NOT WANT THEIR SHEEP TO DIE AND WILL DO ANYTHING TO AVOID IT. There is also a required sized land per head of sheep.
10. “When sheep age and their wool production declines, they are sent to slaughter.”
This is also false. Wool production does not decline. Also the wool and meat industry are separated. There are multiple types of breeds used for different industries. Sheep, such as the Merino, that produce a nice full coat of wool will be used in the wool industry while others, such as the Border Leicester, which has good muscling, is used in the meat industry.
11. “Millions of live sheep are shipped from Australia to the Middle East and North Africa every year.”
They are shipped when they will be used for meat but not for wool. Wool is shipped on its own.
12. “A 2005 report stated that about 38,000 sheep died in transit. In most cases, their carcasses were thrown overboard.”
Once again, who is your source and what report is it? This is false. When live export occurs, they are also equipped with veterinarians to care for the sheep. Why would Australia risk losing money for their economy like that?
13. “In New Zealand, methane emissions from enteric fermentation, coming mostly from sheep, make up more than 90 percent of the nation’s greenhouse-gas emissions.”
I’m not from New Zealand so I can’t really answer this but, given the credibility of your other accusations, I’m calling this one fake as well.
this blog always has space for people calling out PETA on their bullshit
PETA is bullshit in every way
WHY DOES NOBODY IN THIS FANDOM EVER TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT OF A CHARACTER HEAVY IS
His father fought against the Soviet Union.
When he was a child, he helped his father set all of the prisoners in the Gulag they were being held in free, then burnt it to the ground.
He’s quite intelligent! Most people aren’t aware that he actually posses a PHD in Russian Literature! The only reason people seem to think that Heavy is dumb is because he doesn’t speak English very well, and usually speaks in short, simple sentences.
He’s a boxing champion.
He works to support his family and loved ones.
He likes to listen to rock music while on the battlefield to keep his spirits up.
He felt so bad about accidentally making a kid cry on Halloween that he gave him seven thousand dollars to try and make him feel better!
HE HAS A FREAKING BED FOR HIS GUN, SASHA
YES, THANK YOU
I am genuinely in love with Hoob. (also where did you get the info that he’s a boxing champion and that he listens to rock during the battle or am i being dumb and missing a big lump of info)
From memory in poker night they had a thing about his schooling and how he took boxing instead of goat herding? Dunno but I do love the hoovy
YOU NIQQAS WANNA LEARN ELVISH?! HERE YA GO!
this makes me think about the post about the two girls who didn’t want to get caught sendes notes in class so they learned elvish
We would like to present the Lifetime Achievement Award for “Biggest Fucking Nerd on the Face of the Earth” to Phil Coulson.
It’s been over two weeks since mankind failed to vote for “Persephone” as a name for one of Pluto’s moons - my way of coping with the disappointment was drawing Hades’ reaction, obviously.
This was one of the best things to ever happen on television
OH. MY. GOD.
Can we all please take a moment to appreciate Hagrid here? Seriously, everyone always talks about how Harry has no father figure and how terrible it was for Sirius to die because now Harry’s all alone (dont get me wrong, Sirius is my favorite character) but honestly, Hagrid is the best father Harry ever had. He did so much for him, and no one, sometimes not even Harry realizes that. Hagrid gets no where near the mount of credit he deserves. Take a minute and try to imagine where Harry would be with out him and you’ll understand what im talking about.
I think JKR said it was really important to her that Hagrid carried him out of the forest, because he carried him to safety when he was a baby. Hagrid has been there since the beginning, and he was also there at the culmination of Harry’s journey. He’s always cared SO MUCH and been really open with Harry for the most part, which is something Harry needs since people tend to keep secrets from him. Yeah, he’s irresponsible with the monsters, but all of Harry’s father figures were pretty irresponisble, and Hagrid was definitely like, the most solid and reliable out of all of them. And he never left.
Hagrid was also most like a parent in his correction of Harry. For Sirius and Molly, Harry could do no wrong. Dumbledore saw Harry’s flaws, but he depended on them for his own plans to work.
But Hagrid saw Harry for exactly who he was, good and bad. He was the first to publicly defend Harry’s innocence anytime he got blamed for something he didn’t do; but he was also the first to call Harry out on his treatment of Hermione in PoA. He is consistently honest and forthright in addressing Harry’s behaviour and choices, and always acts in the way he believes will be best for Harry’s growth and especially for his moral development.
Harry is the man he is because of Hagrid. No one else did that for him.
Awesome point, awesome awesome.
At Comic Con today, I went as Black Cat. This is a shitty picture and there will be better ones of my whole costume coming up but I just want to say something.
Black Cat’s costume has a fair amount of cleavage (conservative compared to many other female comic characters but a good amount as far as what I’ve ever shown). I guess I was not surprised to have a couple men ask to pose with me and then do some doofy “WHOA LOOK AT THOSE KNOCKERS” poses. I just make a really ugly face when I see they’re doing it. One guy with the social graces of a lemur said to me “I was this close to wearing that same outfit. My breasts are large and supple and I think it would have been nice.” Nope. Stop talking.
But aside from guys being doofy and awkward (but clearly not foul-intentioned), I did have my first truly skeezy experience at Comic Con today.
And my first truly empowering moment as well.
This group of men from some kind of Stan Lee fan club blah blah internet video channel blah blah asked to interview with them on camera about Comic Con. I said well okay, sure. Camera is rolling. The “host” is a middle aged, rotund dude. It’s an all-male crew and lots of people (mostly guys) were beginning to crowd around. The following is the interview as burned in my mind. Keep in mind that I expected this to be about Comic Con in general.
- Him: I’m here with…
- Me: Mandy, aka Felicia Hardy aka Black Cat
- Him: ..And she is HOT. Do you think I’m hot enough to pull that off?
- Me: Uh, I’m not sure, I’ve never seen you in drag.
- Him: I’ve got a great ass. Go on, spank me.
- Me: (look at his large ass, popped up mere inches away from me then look into the camera like are you kidding me . No thanks. I may hurt you, I’m a lot stronger than I look.
- Him: Aw come on!
- Me: No, seriously. Stop.
- Him: Damn, alright! Well let me ask you an important question then…what is your cup size?
- Me: (big talk show smile) That is actually none of your fucking business.
- Him: Oh! I think that means to say she’s a C.
- Me: I actually have no breasts at all, what you see is just all of the fat from my midsection pulled up to my chest and carefully held in place with this corset. It’s really uncomfortable, I don’t know why I do it.
- Him: (to the male crowd) Aw, come on what do you guys think? C cup?
- —a few males start to shout out cup sizes as I stand there looking at this guy like this has to be a fucking joke, then look at the crowd and see that no amount of witty banter or fiestiness will stop making this whole thing fucking dumb. It was clearly a ploy to single out cosplaying women to get them to talk sexual innuendos and flirt with this asshole and let him talk down to them simply because they were in costume and were attractive. Whether I’m in a skintight catsuit or not, I’m a fucking professional in everything I do and I don’t need to play nice for this idiot.
- Me: This is not an interview, this is degrading. I’m done. (I walk away)
- Him: (clearly dumbfounded and surprised) ..Come on, it’s all in good fun!
- Me: Being degraded is fun? That was unprofessional and I hope that isn’t your day job because you can’t interview for shit, my man.
And the entire crew and the crowd were SILENT. NOTHING. SHOCK, HONEY. It felt like I was in a heated fog, full of rage and pride and I sashayed away feeling like the most badass motherfucker in the whole damn room, but kind of also on the verge of tears. A slow build of applause would have been appropriate, but from the looks on people’s faces, they were just completely not expecting me to do what I just did- which was really nothing more than speaking up for myself. It wasn’t something one should feel brave for doing but crazy for not doing when necessary.
It’s because many people at these cons expect women cosplaying as vixens (or even just wearing particularly flattering costumes) to be open/ welcoming to crude male commentary and lecherous ogling, like our presence comes with subtitles that say “I represent your fantasy thus you may treat me like a fantasy and not a human in a costume”. And maybe that will always be how the majority of people see us. But that does not mean we have to put up with shit that crosses the line, it does not mean we owe them a fantasy, it does not mean we dress up to have guys drooling over us and letting us know that we turn them on. It is not all about your dicks, gentlemen. So I encourage cosplaying women everywhere to be blunt and vocal with their rights, their personal boundaries, and their comfort level at conventions. I actually encourage girls to be brashly shameless about these things, to not be afraid to speak up if you feel uncomfortable and to let the person doing it know that they are crossing the line. Don’t keep quiet because you’re scared of what they might say or think- because if you say nothing they will continue to see what they’re doing as OK.
Here’s the standing ovation you should have gotten.
I’m applauding the fuck out of you
Well fucking done.